Maintenance & Servicing
Sicasso rims have a dedicated brake surface with CF bonded with special heat resistant resins. From the first ride they provide reliable braking in all conditions when combined with our brake pads. However, to ensure braking remains optimum there are a few important maintenance tips.
- Brake pad grooves & rim surface should be cleaned after each ride, with particular attention to brake grooves. Initially the brake pads wear at a faster rate. This causes a build up of pad debris in the grooves. A key indicator of this is noisy braking. During this initial period, a milky film may be produced particularly in wet conditions but this is normal. Once worn in the rims will give you many kilometers of tremendous braking. Cleaning of pads & brake surface is key at this time.
- Brake pads: When installing brake pads always use the brake pads provided as they have been matched to our rims. Ensure, the pad sits 2 mm below rim tyre bead. At present we cannot warranty any other pads being used. Our pads are best suited to our rims. Our pads are reasonably priced & readily available from us. Other pads are NOT suitable & tend to be more expensive. Note: we are working on NEW brake technology that will offer even better braking, in all conditions.
- Rim Tape: Always use a good rim tape to cover spoke holes. Ensure, tape is applied tight around inside of rim without any creases.
- Spokes: Our rims use straight pull Sapim CX ray spokes with hidden nipples. All parts; Spokes, spoke nipples & spoke keys are available for purchase. We recommend that any wheel tuning only be done by expert wheel builders.
- Bearings: Our bearings are from one of the worlds best manufacturers. The specifications offer, super low rolling resistance, high load capacity & durability. Unless you can ride at 3x speed of light you will never burn them out. They are built to last, with screw in bearing covers & non-contact friction-less rubber seals over the six bearings. Even though these are designed to keep dirt out, its a good idea to keep hubs clean & greased regularly.
- Cassette Bodies: Our rims come with 11's shimano /Sram & a spacer to reduce to 10's. The rear hub is compatible with Campagnolo cassette bodies which are also available online. Regular grease of cassette bodies is required.